Adrenal Insufficiency Overview:
Adrenal insufficiency is when the adrenal glands don't produce enough of the hormones cortisol and aldosterone. These glands are very important for regulating the stress response, blood sugar, and blood pressure. When they are not produced in adequate amounts, a wide range of symptoms can result, ranging from fatigue and depression, to myalgia and skin pigmentation.
There are two main types of adrenal insufficiencies, primary and secondary. The difference lies in the source of the problem. With primary adrenal insufficiency, the adrenal gland itself is damaged (also known as Addison's disease). Secondary adrenal insufficiency involves HPA axis dysfunction. This can involve iatrogenic causes like drugs, or pituitary dysfunctions.
+ Primary Adrenal Insufficiency
- Caused by a destruction of the adrenal gland (Addisons disease)
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia is an inherited enzymatic deficiency that presents in childhood with primary adrenal insufficiency.
- Can also be the result of surgical removal of adrenal glands, TB, HIV, or metasteses.
- In order to diagnose correctly, an inability for the adrenal glands to respond normally to ACTH stmulation must be demonstrated.
+ Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency
- Most common form
- Results from a disorder of the HPA system, and is most commonly iatrogenic.
- Diagnosis relies on histroy of corticosteroid use, of finding cushings syndrome symptoms on physical examination.
Diagnostic Differences For Adrenal Insufficiency:
|Primary Adrenal Insufficiency||High||High||Low|
|Secondary (Pituitary Disease)||High||Low||Low|
|Secondary (Hypothalamic Disease)||Low||Low||Low|
Postural BP Drop
Reduced Skin Turgor
Skin Crease Pallor
- Decreased cortisol levels
- Elevated plasma ACTH levels
- X-rays may show adrenal calcification
1. Support The Adrenal Glands
Adrenal tonics are mainly used alongside catelcholamine precursers to ensure they are functioning adequately.
2. Decrease The Detrimental Effects of Stress on the Adrenal Glands.
Chronic or extreme stress further exacerbates adrenal deficiency. By ammeliorating the stress response the adrenals have a better chance of recovery.
3. Minimise the Physiological Effects of Stress on the Nervous System.
Herbs targeting the HPA axis are of particular relevance. The goal is to turn on the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Adaptogens (Scutellaria baicalensis, Hypericum perforatum)
- Nervines (Passiflora incarnata, Piper methysticum).
4. Support the Immune System if Required.
Adrenal deficiency often leads to secondary infections as a result of weakened immunity. Address any possible infection, or autoimmunity.
- Immunomodulators (Echinaceae, Astragalus, Andrographis)
- Immune Stimulants
Chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression, cancer, hypothyroidism.
Increased cortisol levels can decrease the immune response (especially NK cell cytotoxicity) by as much as 50% . Once cortisol levels have become depleted and adrenal insufficiency is reached, the immune system can respond with rebound immunological hyperactivity post cortisol drop off, leading to autoimmune conditions .
Herbs For Adrenal Insufficiency:
Formula For Adrenal Insufficiency:
Nothing here yet
The Sunlight Experiment
Recent Blog Posts:
- Arlt, W., & Allolio, B. (2003). Adrenal insufficiency. The Lancet, 361(9372), 1881-1893. Link
- Irwin, M., Patterson, T., Smith, T. L., Caldwell, C., Brown, S. A., Gillin, J. C., & Grant, I. (1990). Reduction of immune function in life stress and depression. Biological psychiatry, 27(1), 22-30. [review]
- Iddah, M. A., & Macharia, B. N. (2013). Autoimmune thyroid disorders. ISRN endocrinology, 2013.