Heart Dysrythmias Overview:
Heart Dysrythmias involve an irregular beating of the heart. This can be too slow, in the case of bradydysrythmias, or too fast, as with the case of tachydysrythmias.
Involves an irregularily slow heartbeat.
- Endurance athlete
- Opioid medications
Involves an iregularily fast heartbeat. The most common form is Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) including Atrial fibrillation (AF).
- Stress and anxiety
- Hypovolemic shock
+ Atrial Fibrillation
Involves the hyperexcitability of the aria of the heart.
Low serum thyrotropin concentration has been associated with a 3 fold increase in risk of developing atrial fibrillation (Sawin et al., 1994). Roughly 0.9 to 1.9 percent of older persons were found to have lowered thyrotropin concentrations (Eggertsen et al., 1988).
Menopause has also been shown to increase the chances of developing osteoporosis (Stein et al., 2003). One of the first line of treatments for osteoporosis is bisphosphonates such as bisphosphonate zoledronic acid (Grey et al., 2006; Woolf & Åkesson., 2003). Nitrogenous bisphosphonates have been shown to increase the incidences of atrial fibrillation (Black et al., 2007; Cummings et al., 2007). This was later backed up with the findings of a large case-control study from Denmark investigating atrial fibrillation patients medication intake (Sørensen et al., 2008). This was not found in patients taking non-nitrogenous bisphosphonates in this study.
Fluttering sensation in the chest
Chest pain or tightness
Shortness of breath
- Full blood count
- Coronary calcium score
- Liver function testing
1. Stabilise Heart Rhythm
- Antidysrhythmics (Crataegus oxycanthus, Leonurus cardiaca, Ziziphus spinosa)
2. Reduce Nervous Tension
- Nervine Sedatives (Valeriana officinalis, Scutellaria lateriflora, Passiflora incarnata, Piper methysticum)
- Adaptogens (Withania somnifera)
3. Prevent Thromboembolism (AF)
- Fibrinolytics (Salvia miltorrhiza, Allium sativum)
- Platelet Aggregation Inhibitors (Allium sativum, Ginkgo biloba, Vitamin E, Fish Oil)
4. Support Cardiac Function
- Cardiovascular tonics (Crataegus ocycanthus)
- Nutritional (Magnesium, CoQ10, B Vitamins, Taurine)
- Diabetes mellitus
- Sleep apnea
- Alcohol intoxication
- Caffeine intake
Diagnostic testing required to rule out differentials.
- Ziziphus spinosa
- Leonurus cardiaca
- Cinchona spp.
The Sunlight Experiment
Updated: May 2018
Recent Blog Posts: