Female Infertility Overview:
Infertility is clinically defined as the inability to concieve after 12 months or more of regular unprotected intercourse.
- 10–15 % of all couples
- Fallopian tubes—infection may close or partly obstruct (PID, endometriosis).
- Ovarian dysfunction
- (a) ovulation may not occur;
- (b) ovulation is irregular with anovulatory cycles;
- Vagina—congenital malformation.
- Uterus—fibroids/congenital malformation.
- Immunological rejection of sperm
Has had previous conception
+ Ovulatory Disorders
- HPO Axis Dysfunction
- Genetic disorders
- Turner's syndrome
- Autoimmune conditions
- Disorders of gonadotrophin regulation
- Gonadotrophin deficiency
- Pituitary tumor
- Pituitary infarction
- Pituitary ablation
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
+ Tubal Obstruction
- Pelivc Inflamatory Disease (PID)
- Ectopic Pregnancies
+ Other Causes
- Uterine abnormalities
Female Hormone Dysregulation
|Oestrogen||Heavy periods, PMS, Menorrhagia, Endometriosis, Fibroids, Cyclic breast swelling/tenderness, Mastalgia, Fibrocystic breast disease, Breast or endometrial cancer.||Low bone density, poor fertility, low libido, irregular periods, immature ageing, vaginal dryness, brittle/dry skin.|
|Progesterone||insert||Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, failure to ovulate, PMS, infertility, endometrial hyperplasia, benign breast disorders, early miscarriage.|
Inability To Concieve
- Considered infertile after 1 year of unprotected intercourse without successful conception.
- Screening exam for thyroid, diabetes, cushing, PCOS, autoimmune.
- Referral for Gynae exam and Ultrasound, lab Ix
- Urinary or serum hormone levels
1. Modify Risk Factors Associated With Lowered Fertility
- Lifestyle Habits (Smoking, alcohol, caffeine, trans fats, sugar, environmental toxin expoure, sub-optimal weight)
- Manage Underlying Conditions (PCOS, Fibroids, Endometriosis, PID, UTI, Stress)
- Optimise nutritional Status (a-lipoic acid, Vitamins A, B, C, & K, Co!10, Zinc, Iron, Calcium, Selenium, Iodine, Chromium, Magnesium, Lycopene, Essential fatty acids.
2. Regulate The HPO Axis
- HPO Axis Modulators (Vitex agnus-castus, Paeonia lactiflora, Glycyrrhiza glabra, Asparagus racemosa, Tribulus terrestris)
3. Improve Fertility Potential
- Uterine Tonics (Angelica polymorpha, Chamaeleriumm luteum, Actaea racemosa, Dioscorea villosa)
- Antioxidants (Curcuma longa, Vitis vinefera, Camellia sinensis, Silybum marianum)
- Ovarian Tonics (Chamaelirium luteum, Asparagus racemosa)
- Male partner infertility
Consider herbs that are contraindicated during pregnancy or herbs that may affect fertility:
- Albizia lebbeck (Albizia)
- Curcuma longa (Turmeric)
- Andrographis panniculata (Andrographis)
The Sunlight Experiment
Updated: April 2018
Recent Blog Posts: