Hyperthyroidism is an overactivity of the thyroid glands. These glands play a major role in metabolism throughout the body. With overproduction of thyroid hormones T4 and T3, metabolic processes are increased, generating excess heat within the body, and increased hunger levels.
Overactive thyroid function can be the result of several key disease processes. It can be the result of autoimmune conditions (Grave's disease), pituitary tumors, or viral infection.
Most hyperthyroidism causes are primary conditions with the exception of iatrogenic causes or pregnancy.
Other causes include:
- Iodine supplementation
Low heat tolerance
Constipation or diarrhea
Progressive weight loss
Thyroid Function Testing
|Hyperthyroidism (Primary)||Low||High||High (first)|
|Hyperthyroidism (Secondary)||High||High||High (first)|
|Hypothyroidism (Primary)||High||Low (first)||Low|
|Hypothyroidism (Secondary)||Low||Low (First)||Low|
Normal Thyroid Hormone Ranges
|Free T4||10-25 pmol/L|
A radioactive dye is swallowed and the thyroid is scanned. This can be used to assess thyroid activity afte the uptake of radioactive dye. The darker the scan the more metabolic activity that is taking place.
1. Treat Symptomatic Anxiety
For symptomatic support, reduce anxious side effects of hyperthyroidism.
- Relaxing nervines (Lycopus spp., Passiflora incarnata)
2. Modulate Thyroid Function
- Thyroid Modulators (Dampeners)
3. Treat Symptomatic Heart Palpitations and Tachycardia
- Cardiac tonics (Crataegus spp.)
4. Treat Possible Autoimmune Causes
- Immunomodulators (Echinaceae purpurea)
- Immune Suppressants (Hemidesmus)
5. Treat Any Suspected Viral Causes
- Antivirals (Hypericum perforatum)
6. Dietary Considerations
- ↑ Dietary Goitrogens
- ↑ Carnitine
- Graves Disease
Avoid iodine containing herbs and food, especially if Grave's disease is suspected.
Herbs For Hyperthyroidism
- Lycopus spp.
- Scutellaria baicalensis
|Herb Name||Ratio||Amount in mL|
|Lycopus spp.||1:2||20 mL|
|Leonurus cardiaca||1:2||20 mL|
|Scutellaria spp.||1:2||20 mL|
|Crataegus spp.||1:2||20 mL|
|Bupleurum falciform||1:2||20 mL|
Common Drug Therapies For Hyperthyroidism:
- Iodine & radioactive iodine
- High doses depress TRH and TSH release.
The Sunlight Experiment
Updated: June 2018
Recent Blog Posts: