Insomnia is defined as any difficulty initiating, or maintaining sleep. Most people will not seek help for their insomnia until it has become a chronic problem. These people will usually present with other symptoms, such as exhaustion, poor cognitive performance, irritability, and lower quality of life.
There are several categorisations of insomnia, starting with primary (such as anxiety) and secondary (such as alcohol or drugs). It can be hard to differentiate between the two, making it important to consider and attempt to remove any possible causes.
Further classification can break it down according to the specific difficulty the patient is experiencing. This includes:
- sleep-onset insomnia (patient has difficulty initiating sleep),
- Sleep maintenance insomnia (awakened during the night and find difficulty falling back asleep)
- Sleep-Offset insomnia (waking very early in the morning)
- Non-restorative sleep (feeling tired and unrestored upon waking)
There can be many causes for insomnia, including anxiety, drugs or alcohol, sleep apnoea, pain or discomfort, caffeine, depression, restless leg syndrome, and environments not condusive to sleep (loud and/or bright).
+ Sleep Onset Insomnia
- Difficulty initiating sleep.
+ Sleep Maintenance Insomnia
- Frequent waking in the night.
+ Non-resotrative Sleep
- Waking unrefreshed or tired.
Feeling tired and unrestored upon waking
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Poor cognitive function
Dry mouth upon waking
1. Acertain Any Causitive Factors
Such as prostate function, pain, depression, sleep apnea, etc.
- The action will be specific to the determined causes.
3. Support The Sleeping Process And Natural Circadian Rhythm
Taken throughout the day to restore healthy circadian rhythm.
Other conditions may be present, either as a result of insomnia-induced exhaustion, or may be a causative factor. Fibromyalgia, depression, generalised anxiety disorder, restless leg syndrome, adrenal dysregulation, and diabetes are all considerations.
Herbs For Insomnia:
- Lemon balm
- California Poppy
Sleep Maintenance Herbs
- St John’s wort, Saffron, Skullcap,
Damiana, Rhodiola and Schisandra
Formula For Insomnia:
The Sunlight Experiment
Updated: April 2018
Recent Blog Posts: