Mumps is a viral infection that mainly affects children. It causes an inflammation of the parotid glands as well as exocrine glands including the pancreas, mature ovaries, and testes.
Mumps is a viral infection of Mumps rubulavirus. It mainly infects the parotid glands (salivary glands), but can also affect other exocrine glands.
Mumps is spread through the saliva of infected individuals, many of which are asymptomatic carriers and vectors for the virus. Once infected, there is a 12-24 day incubation stage but become infectious 24-36 hours before symptoms occur. Illness usually lasts about 1 week.
Infection of Mumps rubulavirus can result in serious complications depending on the tissues infected. These can include:
- Hearing loss
Pain in the throat
Swelling of the parotid glands
1. Eradicate Viral Infection
- Antivirals (hypericum, thuja)
2. Support The Immune System
- Immunomodulators (Echinaceae)
- Diaphoretics (Achillea millefolium)
3. Support The Lymphatic System
This in turn supports the affected parotid glands.
- Lymphatics (red root, calendula, baptisia, echinaceae, phytolacca (older children only and with caution))
4. Reduce Pain & Inflammation Associated With Sore Throat
- Demulcents ()
5. Treat Orchitis or Oorphoritis If Applicable
- Anemone pulsatilla
The Sunlight Experiment
Updated: November 2017
Recent Blog Posts: